Re: A bit OT: conversion mp3 to wav

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:23:34PM +0000, Vittorio wrote:
> Sebastian Kapfer [debian-user] <05/07/03 18:59 +0200>:
> > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 13:50:08 +0200, vdemar wrote:
> >
> > > E.g., If I issue the basic command
> > >
> > > mpg123 -w weare.wav weare.mp3
> > [...]
> > > Illegal instruction
> >
> > Did this break with a recent update? It sounds like mpg123 uses an
> > instruction that your CPU (which?) doesn't support. Does normal playback
> > work?
>
> This break appeared after an update (I don't know if recent).
>
> The CPU is a Pentium III.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "normal playback" but xmms is able to reproduce both mp3 and wav files if I guess correctly.

I think he means 'does mpg123 play mp3 files in general, ie does "mpg123
file.mp3" work?'.

That said, assuming you're using the Debian packages of mpg123 (which
are built for i386), I'd look for disk corruption.  'debsums' is useful
for checking this.  If you built it yourself from source, then try
again; you probably used optimisations that your CPU doesn't actually
support.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:  armed overthrow PGP undercover ASPIC argus AIEWS White House