Re: Libc6 broken -- unable to boot...

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 03:55:08PM +0200, nacho@imit.kth.se wrote:
> Hi everybody:
> I am getting kind of desperate with this and before trhasong all my debian
> installation I would like to beg for help in the list. I broke my
> installation of libc6, while trying to install a newer version, and then I
> was not able to deinstall or install another version, since everything
> segfaulted. I though that I would be able to reinstall the libc6 with the
> rescue disks, but I have been unable to do it so far... so, what is the
> less destroying way of getting my debian system to boot again?
>
> I have tried booting with rescue/root disks and then using the static dpkg
> to install a new libc6, but it complains with something about the root
> user (that is does not find in one of the dpkg control files...)...Could
> some helpful sould give me some hints about how to get it working without
> having to reinstall completely? This is my configuration, just in case:
>
> /dev/hda1   /
> /dev/hda2   /var
>
> Last used libc6 : 2.3.1-17... which is the one that is broken in the hard
> drive right now...
>
> Please, Cc: to my mail account

Boot off something that gives you chroot, ar, tar and gzip. I think the
install disk has all these. Then get a shell and:

cp /path/to/libc6_2.3.1-17*.deb /tmp
cd /tmp
ar -x libc6_2.3.1-17*.deb
tar xzf data.tar.gz
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
cp -a lib/* /mnt/lib
cp sbin/* /mnt/sbin
chroot /mnt /sbin/ldconfig
umount /mnt

... then reboot as normal; should be going again...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons