XFree86 4.3 strange library behaviour

I'm running woody with the .1 update and have just compiled XFree86 4.3 on my system. Other than having to install one development package (pam) I thought all was hunky dory.

Before installing it, I decided I did not want to remove the older version (4.1 i think) and all packages dependant on it so I kept it on there.

The problem I'm having is that libXTrap.so.6 and libXv.so.1 (maybe others too) are not found despite their existence in the same place as the other libs which work fine. I used 'ldd xvinfo' & 'ldd xtrapinfo' to confirm the other libraries that X 4.3 installed are found (in /usr/X11R6/lib) .

I have checked the permissions and links which appear to be no different to the other libraries.

Any pointers to what may be causing this?

Ta v much,

James

~(sirromseventyfive)~