RE: make-kpkg producing error

Just in case anyone is following up on this, it worked.
The following is the command I ran logged in as my normal user who is
also a member of the 'src' group.

depriest@quagmire:/usr/src/linux$ MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-2.95" fakeroot
make-kpkg --append-to-version 20030707 --revision 1 kernel-image

This left me with this file (which I haven't tried to install yet...:
/usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.1820030707_1_i386.deb

Thanks for your timely advice!