Re: X lockups

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:10:13PM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> * Bradley M Alexander <storm@tux.org> [07-07-2003 20:03]:
> > In the past month or so, I have noticed that at random intervals,
> > X will lock up, kick me out, and xdm will restart.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> I have had 2 lockups recently after a year without any such trouble.
> SSH'ing into the box worked on one occasion.  However, killing X,
> gave me a proper lockup.

Normally it happens when I am on the box, and I hear the two clicks of the
mode change on the monitor, then it goes back to an xdm login. This
morning was the first time I got a hard lockup.

> I update almost every day and hopefully the problem is gone. It's
> been a couple of weeks without a crash.

In checking the packages, many of the X packages are 4.2.1-8, but the
xserver-xfree86 is 4.2.1-9. I have the packages for upgrading the rest to
-9 on my laptop to be deployed tonight.

> My suspicion is towards Mozilla-Firebird. At least one time, I was
> editing an input form. At the moment, this activity still crashes
> firebird quite often, but luckily with no harm done to X.

Interesting. I use Mozilla-Galeon, but I have had similar experiences. I
may try running with Mozilla only for a bit to eliminate the whole galeon
thing.

> Bob
>

> --

--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |
gTLD SysAdmin, Security Engineer    |   storm [at] tux.org
Debian/GNU Linux Developer          |   storm [at] debian.org
Key fingerprints:
DSA 0x54434E65: 37F6 BCA6 621D 920C E02E  E3C8 73B2 C019 5443 4E65
RSA 0xC3BCBA91: 3F 0E 26 C1 90 14 AD 0A  C8 9C F0 93 75 A0 01 34
Security times usability is a constant: The only secure system is one that
is unplugged from the network, powered off, packed in concrete, then fired
into the sun...But at that point, it isn't very usable, is it?
                                                       --Brad Alexander