Re: ATAPI CD-writer

Hello

cr wrote:

> Just continuing to get my setup sorted....   I need an overview of ATAPI
> cd-writer installation under Debian.
>
> I've read the HOWTOs but I tend to get bogged down and confused in all the
> details.   And in the past I've found, when I've managed to get X-cd-roast
> working (under previous Redhat installations), I've lost the ability to
> mount
> the cd-rom in the usual way.   But anyway, I know the hardware all works
> :)

This is probably because after loading scsi emulation, you can no longer use
the IDE device file (/dev/hdb) to mount, instead you must use the correct
scsi cdrom device file (/dev/scd0). All you have to do is either change the
fstab (if the entry in fstab for the cdrom uses the ide device file) or
change some symlink (if the fstab entry uses some symlink like /dev/cdrom
that points to your cdrom)

> I'm running Debian 3.0, idepci kernel, my cd-writer is a (Goldstar) LG8080
> IDE/ATAPI which seems to be pretty much plain-vanilla  (i.e. it needs no
> special drivers), on /hdb.

> I *think* that if the kernel has scsi support compiled into it, then I
> could just add   hdb=ide-scsi  to my Grub   menu.lst file.   However,
> cdrecord -scanbus seems to indicate scsi support isn't there:

I *think* the standard kernels in Debian (at least I know about
2.4.18-bf2.4) do not have the ide-scsi driver compiled in.

> So I guess I need to load ide-scsi as a separate module.   Can this be
> done
> at any time using insmod or modprobe?

You can load the ide-scsi module at any time using insmod or modprobe. If
you want it to be automatically loaded at startup, make an entry in
/etc/modules.

> And, if ide-scsi then stops me
> mounting my cd-writer as a regular ide device,  can I remove ide-scsi with
> rmmod and will it then give me ide back?

You can remove the ide-scsi module, however if you change your fstab, you
will also be able to mount your CD writer with ide-scsi. Additionally,
removing the driver won't help, because the kernel still won't use ide-cd
for the device because of your bootloader entry.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen