forcibly unmounting and bash history

Hello,
it's happened many time to me that I couldn't find a way to forcibly
unmount a CD if the fact that it was broken caused my screen to be
filled with some "drive-seek" errors or something. Further more, it
seemed impossible if, say, mplayer hung because of that. Getting rid
of the messages is easy, but solving the problem is somehow not. Has
anyone got any ideas?

And does anyone know if there is a way of making this script work as
intended?

history | perl -i -ne 's/^[^a-z]+//ig;print' > /root/.bash_history

The problem is that putting "history" into a script does nothing. Is
there a way to get around it?

Thanks,

    andrej

--