Re: ATAPI CD-writer

On Sunday 06 July 2003 21:49, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> cr wrote:
> > Just continuing to get my setup sorted....   I need an overview of ATAPI
> > cd-writer installation under Debian.
> >
> > I've read the HOWTOs but I tend to get bogged down and confused in all
> > the details.   And in the past I've found, when I've managed to get
> > X-cd-roast working (under previous Redhat installations), I've lost the
> > ability to mount
> > the cd-rom in the usual way.   But anyway, I know the hardware all works
> >
> > :)
>
> This is probably because after loading scsi emulation, you can no longer
> use the IDE device file (/dev/hdb) to mount, instead you must use the
> correct scsi cdrom device file (/dev/scd0). All you have to do is either
> change the fstab (if the entry in fstab for the cdrom uses the ide device
> file) or change some symlink (if the fstab entry uses some symlink like
> /dev/cdrom that points to your cdrom)

OK, thanks for that.  That explains it.

> > I'm running Debian 3.0, idepci kernel, my cd-writer is a (Goldstar)
> > LG8080 IDE/ATAPI which seems to be pretty much plain-vanilla  (i.e. it
> > needs no special drivers), on /hdb.
> >
> > I *think* that if the kernel has scsi support compiled into it, then I
> > could just add   hdb=ide-scsi  to my Grub   menu.lst file.   However,
> > cdrecord -scanbus seems to indicate scsi support isn't there:
>
> I *think* the standard kernels in Debian (at least I know about
> 2.4.18-bf2.4) do not have the ide-scsi driver compiled in.
>
> > So I guess I need to load ide-scsi as a separate module.   Can this be
> > done
> > at any time using insmod or modprobe?
>
> You can load the ide-scsi module at any time using insmod or modprobe. If
> you want it to be automatically loaded at startup, make an entry in
> /etc/modules.

I believe I also probably need sg and sr_mod.   Can they also be loaded via
modprobe?   And - this is probably a stupid question but, where would I find
these modules - sg, sr_mod and  ide-scsi?   insmod  can't find them -

insmod: sg: no module by that name found

I can't find them anywhere on my system, nor listed by name on the complete
Debian Woody CD-rom contents list that I keep handy.   The CD-Writing HOWTO
says  "Please read the next chapter if insmod complains about missing module
files" but I can't find any further mention of them in the HOWTO (unless I
missed it).

> > And, if ide-scsi then stops me
> > mounting my cd-writer as a regular ide device,  can I remove ide-scsi
> > with rmmod and will it then give me ide back?
>
> You can remove the ide-scsi module, however if you change your fstab, you
> will also be able to mount your CD writer with ide-scsi. Additionally,
> removing the driver won't help, because the kernel still won't use ide-cd
> for the device because of your bootloader entry.

OK, it looks as if I can leave ide-scsi installed permanently.

> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen

Many thanks

Chris