Re: The nature of testing and where can others help (Was Re: HowTo for Gnome2??)

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 03:13:10PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 02:06:37PM -0600, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> > If the rules for testing is that it's ok to stick the engine in
> > without a carburetor or exhaust system because they will go in
> > sometime down the line before it is sold to people, then I guess these
> > dependancies don't matter in testing, and maybe testing should have a
> > disclaimer "It's probably broken, but we don't want to hear about it
> > because it wasn't for sale yet anyway."
>
> IIRC, there was an indication a while back that Gnome2 was being
> manually forced through into Testing.

No, it's not. The components that have so far been upgraded were
upgraded entirely automatically. The dependencies within the GNOME 2
packages are simply not strict enough to prevent (say) gnome-panel being
installed into testing with an older gnome-control-center (and it's
possible that they can't be, which is why releases aren't automatic
either ...).