Re: Debian and S3 ProsavageDDR KM 266

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:06, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> A month ago I had debian stable (woody) installed on my XPC which has
> the ProSavageDDR (savage8) onboard with the via chipset. I used apt
> pinning to get the unstable XFree86 4.2 (seems like that's in testing
> now) package xserver-xfree86. I combined that with the savage driver
> debian package by Tim Roberts (http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html)
> and I was a pretty happy 2d X windows user.
>

> Since then I've reinstalled from scratch to testing (Sarge) and am
> borrowing an ATI Radeon... Best of luck.
>
> Jacob Anawalt

The default XFree 4.1 in Woody seems to have a broken vesa driver.
You already discovered that the vesa driver is OK in version 4.2

You can also apt-get install xserver-s3 from the Woody sources, I have had
some luck with that on old s3 trio cards. Or install xserver-s3v if need be
for s3 virge chipsets.

HTH
Bob Parker