OT? www.donotcall.gov problem

Yesterday, I attempted to use the new federal (USA) web site for
registering my telephone numbers in the 'do not call' database. I did
not succeed, and I am wondering what is wrong. Let me describe my
experience:

The web site displays a form on which I am requested to fill in the
telephone numbers that I want added to the list, AND a space where I
am to enter my email address. I followed the instructions. I entered
three telephone #s, and one of my four email addresses. In a few
seconds, three emails arrived in my inbox. Each of them, requested
that I click on a hotlink to visit a web site that would complete
the registration process. I did this for each email.

In all three cases there was an almost immediate response that the
data was incorrect, and no indication as to how I might make it
correct. I am using Galeon web browser and mutt MUA. Does gov
require Windoze software on my computer? Has anyone succeeded in
registering with a Debian machine?

I did succeed in registering by using the telephone and calling
1-888-382-1222.
When I did this, the hardware of the telephone system was able to
verify that I was calling from the telephone instrument that I
was registering. But I have a question about this process:
I was required to enter the telephone # manually, and then my
manual entry was checked against what the hardware said. Why?
Why not just have the hardware grab the telephone # and put it
into the database?

And what relation does my email address have to my telephone #?  What
are they checking in my email that has any relation to my telephone?
(Yes, I use ppp to my ISP, but surely they can't query the ISP server
to find out which telephone I'm using to call the ISP, and surely it
should be possible to register if ones internet connection is entirely
independent of ones telephone service. ???)

Thanks for any comments, speculations, on this puzzle.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com