Re: OT? www.donotcall.gov problem

At 2003-07-02T11:17:58Z, Paul E Condon <pecondon@peakpeak.com> writes:

> Why not just have the hardware grab the telephone # and put it into the
> database?

Think of it as a double-verification system.  That way, they can say that
you explicitly and knowingly requested for that number to be added; you
didn't accidentally pick up the wrong phone in your house and dial.

> And what relation does my email address have to my telephone #?

Absolutely none.  It does, however, give a rudimentary way to link to a real
person.  Imagine if you'd fraudulently added a number (say, by writing a
script to add all phone numbers in your area code).  The Feds know that the
verification email went to a particular address, and could theoretically
subpeona that email server's logs to see where you were coming from.

Could it be fooled?  Of course!  Is it more hassle than the typical
skript-kiddie is likely to bother with?  Sure.
--
Kirk Strauser