Re: Correct way to add things to shell profile?

On Sat, June 28 at  9:37 PM EDT
Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org> wrote:

> [ Please CC me on replies ]
>
> Hi, what is the correct Debian way to get a shell to evaluate
> something when it starts (e.g. like /etc/profile)? I'm trying to add
> things to the PATH for a group of machines. Other distributions have
> something like /etc/profile.d, but Debian does not.

What shell and is it a login shell?  I think that /etc/profile *is* read
by login shells (at least it says so in bash man page).
If you are creating users then maybe put a default .profile in /etc/skel
and it will be copied into each home dir by useradd.
PATH=$PATH:/usr/custom/bin:/usr/local/qt/bin
will take the current PATH (usually set from /etc/profile) and add the
rest to it.

HTH

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net