Re: ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:57:22AM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote:
> Now when I launch XMMS as a user, trying to play a mp3 brings up the
> message:
> Please check that:
> 1. You have the correct output plug-in selected
> 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
> Now when I run XMMS as root, it works just fine, plays my music just fine.
> Is this a permissions issue with the sound card device(s)?  If so, what is
> the best (read most secure) way to enable access for my user account?

Try:
	chmod a+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer /dev/sequencer /dev/midi
	add yourself to the "audio" group under /etc/group -- mine looks like
		this: audio:x:29:emmajane,root
instructions from:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=ALi&card=M1535%2CM1535D%2CM1535%2B%2CM1535D%2B&chip=M5451&module=ali5451

I was getting that error message. Ulimately I'm not convinced I'd actually
installed the (correct) ALSA modules. But since you *can* play music as
root your problem might be somewhat easier to solve.

> Any ideas why make-kpkg kernel-image does not work correctly with my
> Ethernet card?  (I realize this is a different post entirely, just thought I
> would bring it up.)

I use wireless, so it may be a slightly different problem; however, for
some reason make-kpkg found an old version of the pcmcia source and used
out-dated modules. It took me SEVERAL tries to get everything in the right
order. I was also configuring for my graphics card (nvidia) for a total
of: nvidia, pcmcia and alsa as seperate modules. Plus all the things that
are in my kernel as modules (i.e. soundcore).

Instead of just relying on --append-to-version I actually (re)moved
the /lib/modules/<kernel> directory and then did modules_install again.
(Let me know if you want that in a non-short hand version.)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]