ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers

Greetings fellow Debianites,

Sorry, this may be a little long winded.  For the past couple of days I have
been trying off and on to get the ALSA drivers setup on my Woody box.

The computer is a IBM Intellistation Z-Pro (6866-60U).  Because I never had
sound installed on this machine, I never had the SOUNDCORE module loaded as
part of my kernel.  When I started this venture I was using a custom kernel
that I made to support my 5 disk SCSI RAID5 LVM disk setup.  So I built a
new kernel that had SOUNDCORE support in addition to my other needs.
I have the 2.4.18 debian package source for woody.
Ran:
make mrproper
make xconfig
make-kpkg kernel-image

When I built the kernel "the Debian way", for some reason my network card
(eepro100) could never get an IP address.  So, I built the kernel "the
manual way".
Ran:
make mrproper
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

This worked wonderfully and I didn't have to figure out what was going on
with make-kpkg.  So now I have a custom 2.4.18 kernel with SCSI+RAID5+LVM
and now soundcore support as a module.

When I installed the Debian packages for ALSA using dselect, I could not get
it to configure properly with my sound card.  I then went to alsa's site
(http://www.alsa-project.org) and followed their directions to install the
latest stable release 0.94 of the Driver, Library, Utilities, and Tools.
I now can see that these modules are loaded...  lsmod shows:
<snip>
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
snd-seq-oss            23104   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      2984   0  [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                36236   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss            36516   0
snd-mixer-oss          11232   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-intel8x0           15168   0
snd-pcm                54624   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer              13920   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-page-alloc          4496   0  [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         32816   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd-mpu401-uart         2848   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi            12384   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          3764   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd                    27136   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq
snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm
snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3492   5  [snd]
</snip>

I launch alsamixer and it shows my sound card information at the top.  So,
it seems that everything is installed correctly and working.  I then
installed XMMS using dselect from the stable tree.  This prompted me to
install all sorts of stuff.  Libasound1, libesd-alsa0, xmms, esound, some
documentiation.

Now when I launch XMMS as a user, trying to play a mp3 brings up the
message:
Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plug-in selected
2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

Now when I run XMMS as root, it works just fine, plays my music just fine.

Is this a permissions issue with the sound card device(s)?  If so, what is
the best (read most secure) way to enable access for my user account?

Any ideas why make-kpkg kernel-image does not work correctly with my
Ethernet card?  (I realize this is a different post entirely, just thought I
would bring it up.)

Any help is always appreciated.

Michael