Re: ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 10:57:22AM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote:
> Greetings fellow Debianites,
>
> Sorry, this may be a little long winded.  For the past couple of days I have
> been trying off and on to get the ALSA drivers setup on my Woody box.

<Big SNIP>
> Now when I launch XMMS as a user, trying to play a mp3 brings up the
> message:
> Please check that:
> 1. You have the correct output plug-in selected
> 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
>
> Now when I run XMMS as root, it works just fine, plays my music just fine.
>
> Is this a permissions issue with the sound card device(s)?  If so, what is
> the best (read most secure) way to enable access for my user account?

If it works as root, I'd say with some confidence that the drivers
*work* and it's a permission problem or xmms config problem or such.

Have you added your user account to the group "audio" yet?
* Note that being added to a group only takes effect on the
  next login (ie, if you're already logged in as that user, you'll
  need to log out completely and then log back in).

If that doesn't do it, take a look at what output plugin you're using
(as per the error message)...

> Any ideas why make-kpkg kernel-image does not work correctly with my
> Ethernet card?  (I realize this is a different post entirely, just thought I
> would bring it up.)

Nope, I'm afraid I haven't got a clue on that issue.