Re: How to dpkg -i on broken system

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> My system got in a broken state in which it could not mount some
> disks.  I had patched the evms libraries to correct a problem, and
> then overwrote them with an updated Debian package (which
> unfortunately lacked the patch).
>
> I wanted to dpkg -i my_old.deb (that will work, even for a downgrade,
> won't it?), but dpkg said
> dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: No such file or directory
>
> The status area was on one of the evms disks.
>
> I used dpkg-deb to unpack the .deb file and copied the single file I
> needed over the newer one.  Is there a better way to do this?

From the dpkg-deb manpage:

       --fsys-tarfile
              Extracts the filesystem tree data from a binary
              package and sends it to standard output in tar format.
              Together with tar this can be used to extract a particular
              file from a package archive.

However, I think what you're really looking for is apt-src or apt-build.

> Is there any way to run dpkg -i when the directory it needs is gone?

No, it's really quite important to dpkg's operation.  Until you restore
your /var/lib/dpkg directory from the disk (hopefully you can), Debian's
packaging system will unusable.

--
Poems... always a sign of pretentious inner turmoil.