crashtastic x & this odd --MARK-- filler

	hi! thanks for your effort. i've two minor problems here.

	ok. so this is the first time i've run x - i've been strictly
commandline up until now. i thusfar have only used it for gimp,
crazy-addictive evil tangrams, & mozilla, & i anticipate this being the
case forever. long live CLI! it's a p3-600 running debian 3.0r1, kernel
2.4.18; i'll be happy to give any other information required, including my
cup size. har!

	anyhow, x is oddly crashy & i do not know why. if i'm logged in &
using x, it's fine. if i'm logged in & i switch ttys away from it for more
than five or ten minutes, it gives my syslog:
      gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
      input condition is: 0x10, exiting
& restarts. if i'm logged in & i leave it idle for five or ten minutes, it
restarts. if i do not log in, but come back to it five or ten minutes after
it's been sitting there, it restarts before letting me log in.

	i wonder if it's trying to go to a screen saver or something which
it isn't finding. i know too little about how x works, & thus haven't been
able to find information in my extensive .doc, howto, & groups.google
searchings.

	second issue: i have NO idea if this is related, but it'd be swell
if someone could tell me what this "-- MARK --" crap in my messages log
is, & how i can make my new box stop doing it at :10, :30 & :50 on the
hour. there's nothing in crontab.

	thanks, cats. you each deserve oral sex.

lish
crank@got.net