Re: this odd --MARK-- filler

* i'll teach you to turn away. (crank@got.net) [030625 22:46]:
> 	second issue: i have NO idea if this is related, but it'd be swell
> if someone could tell me what this "-- MARK --" crap in my messages log
> is, & how i can make my new box stop doing it at :10, :30 & :50 on the
> hour. there's nothing in crontab.

Syslog MARKs every 20 minutes (by default).  These MARKs give you an
easy visual cue that (a) it's still running, and (b) how often messages
are coming in.  When you're scanning through the logs, it's an easy way
to tell when events are clumped together, or how far apart, without
having to look over and find the timestamp.

You can change the frequency of the MARKs by specifying an '-m' option
to the syslogd invocation in /etc/init.d/sysklogd .  Find a line that
says SYSLOGD="" and change it to SYSLOGD="-m 60", for example, to make
it mark every hour instead of 3 times an hour.  You can disable the
MARKs altogether by specifying SYSLOGD="-m 0".

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/