Correct Java for the Firebird package?

I grabbed the nifty xft-enabled Moz-Firebird package for testing last
week, but can't seem to get Java working on it. I was previously using
Sun's 1.4.1_02 package along with the compatibility deb for the old C++
library - that worked fine on Debian's Mozilla and on mozilla.org's
Phoenix/Firebird. But after trying various alternatives, the Debian
Firebird package doesn't pick up on any of the plugins. Right now I've
got Sun 1.4.1_03, which works in Mozilla 1.0.0, but not in Firebird.
There are no error messages if I start Firebird from a terminal, and
from what I can understand of the ldd output, both Mozilla-Firebird-bin
and mozilla-bin are compiled against the same libraries. What am I
missing here?

Thanks,
Todd