Troubles with Gnome2

Hi, Vittorio

I had the same problem yesterday. Bad date? And I do not know what to do, either. The only difference is I used dselect. Probably it has something to do with the settings in /etc/gconf/2/path. My path is the old one from Gnome 1.4, because without it Gnome2 would not start at all. The update packaged it into path.old, and Gnome2 complained that is has no settings and - exit. So I made path.old to path again. With the resulting behavour you described plus something else: Gnome2 complains that the settings daemon was started too often, so it was deactivated, but Gnome2 would attemt to start it again next time.

To everybody'S benefit: HAs somebody got any idea what is going on?

Greetings from Anatoli Strigin

- Context: testing, gdm & gnome 1.4

Updating testing frequently I've been moved (unconsciously or perhaps
by mistake: I run apt-get update; apt-get upgrade) to gnome2.

Now I'm facing two major problems with gnome2:

1) When gdm starts gnome2 the following error fastidiously pops up:

`Failed to activate "OAFIID:GNOME_SETTINGS_DAEMON" '

and then clicking on ok I can go under gnome2 (apparently without
further inconvenience).

2) Even though I'm Italian, as far Debian linux is concerned, I prefer
to stick to English as my "pet" language (just to partecipate to this
group for instance); therefore I had set up gnome 1.4 in
English. Well, out of the blue, gnome2 is now in Italian and it is
absolutely insensitive to my efforts to change languages by means of
gdm (which, by the way has been turned to Italian too!!??).

Please help to fix 1 and 2.

Ciao
Vittorio

Dr. Anatoli Strigin                            phone: (49-30-)201-92-507
Zentrum fuer allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft,    fax: (49-30-)201-92-402
Typologie und Universalienforschung, e-mail: strigin@zas.gwz-berlin.de
Jaegerstrasse 10/11, 10117 Berlin, BRD