Re: exim4

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:56:30AM +0000, Robin Gerard wrote:
| On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:24:56PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

| >     1)  Stop using SMTP with fetchmail.  fetchmail, like all non-MTAs,
| >             does not have a complete SMTP implementation and as such I
| >             would not trust it.  To take this option, put
| >                 options mda "/usr/bin/sendmail %T"
| >             in the proper location of your .fetchmailrc
| >             (curiosity:  does user1 already have this in their config?)
| >
| >     2)  Determine why your exim4 setup rejects fetchmail's SMTP
| >             commands.  To do this, run fetchmail in verbose mode so
| >             that it logs the SMTP conversation and then post that.
|
| Many thanks for your advices user2 is ok now !

You're welcome.

| for user1 I have the bash script:
|
| "facteur": (postman in french)

Is the above the script name?  If not then I don't understand it.

| fetchmail --mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

Specifying --mda like this causes mail to go straight to procmail and
exim never sees it.  (it's not wrong, just understand what it means
:-))

| and for user2 the script :
|
| "getmes":
| fetchmail

Like this fetchmail defaults to using an SMTP connection to localhost.
That means fetchmail must pass all of the junk/invalid mail checks the
MTA enforces for an SMTP session.

| I change "getmes" like "facteur" and now user2 can
| fetch her (my daughter) mails.

Good.

| (I notice that exim is not as fussy as exim4.)

Not inherently.
The strictness of the input checking is controlled wholly by the
config file.  Look through the exim.conf for your exim4 installation
(particularly the 'acl' section) to see what it is looking for.

-D

--
Microsoft encrypts your Windows NT password when stored on a Windows CE
device. But if you look carefully at their encryption algorithm, they

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/