Re: exim4

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:01:37AM +0000, Robin Gerard wrote:
| Hello,
| I installed exim4 on my box.
|
| There are 3 users:
| root
| user1
| user2
|
| For user1 all is ok: messages being sent and received correctly.
|
| For user2 messages are sent ok, but for the receiving of the messages I get:
|
| 1 message for fu.bar (user2) at pop.free.fr (945 bytes)
| reading message fu.bar@pop.free.fr: 1 of 1 (945 bytes)
| fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
| fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.free.fr
| fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
|
| However, all is ok for user1 and user2 with exim. (not exim4)
| Can someone help me so that exim4 works correctly.
| TIA

You have two options :
    1)  Stop using SMTP with fetchmail.  fetchmail, like all non-MTAs,
            does not have a complete SMTP implementation and as such I
            would not trust it.  To take this option, put
                options mda "/usr/bin/sendmail %T"
            in the proper location of your .fetchmailrc
            (curiosity:  does user1 already have this in their config?)

    2)  Determine why your exim4 setup rejects fetchmail's SMTP
            commands.  To do this, run fetchmail in verbose mode so
            that it logs the SMTP conversation and then post that.

-D

--
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
        --Jim Elliot

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/