Re: exim4

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 02:24:56PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 12:01:37AM +0000, Robin Gerard wrote:
> | Hello,
> | I installed exim4 on my box.
> |
> | There are 3 users:
> | root
> | user1
> | user2
> |
> | For user1 all is ok: messages being sent and received correctly.
> |
> | For user2 messages are sent ok, but for the receiving of the messages I get:
> |
> | 1 message for fu.bar (user2) at pop.free.fr (945 bytes)
> | reading message fu.bar@pop.free.fr: 1 of 1 (945 bytes)
> | fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
> | fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.free.fr
> | fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
> |
> | However, all is ok for user1 and user2 with exim. (not exim4)
> | Can someone help me so that exim4 works correctly.
> | TIA
>
> You have two options :
>     1)  Stop using SMTP with fetchmail.  fetchmail, like all non-MTAs,
>             does not have a complete SMTP implementation and as such I
>             would not trust it.  To take this option, put
>                 options mda "/usr/bin/sendmail %T"
>             in the proper location of your .fetchmailrc
>             (curiosity:  does user1 already have this in their config?)
>
>     2)  Determine why your exim4 setup rejects fetchmail's SMTP
>             commands.  To do this, run fetchmail in verbose mode so
>             that it logs the SMTP conversation and then post that.

Many thanks for your advices user2 is ok now !

for user1 I have the bash script:

"facteur": (postman in french)
fetchmail --mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

and for user2 the script :

"getmes":
fetchmail

I change "getmes" like "facteur" and now user2 can
fetch her (my daughter) mails.

(I notice that exim is not as fussy as exim4.)

Thanks again.
--
Gerard