Re: Knoppix

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 10:03:00PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2003 21:17, David Fokkema wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > Just tried Knoppix 3.2Beta. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Liteline laptop
> > with a 500Mhz AMD-K6-III, 60Mb RAM, trident cyberblade i7/DSTN 4Mb
> > RAM with 800x600 TFT, 5Gb harddisk and touchpad. Just so you know...
> >
> > I'm impressed by the look of it and am pretty sure that it runs fine
> > on a typical desktop, BUT
> >
> > My screen is shifted three pixels right. Under Debian, I can't do
> > better without using the framebuffer. My mouse doesn't work unless I
> > specify 'wheelmouse' which results in my mouse pointer flashing over
> > the screen and clicking when I don't even touch buttons. Never had
> > this in Debian, unless I just had booted into windows. Hard poweroff
> > always fixed this, but not with Knoppix.
>

> I don't know about your notebook's video card. But I have seen this
> shoft to right, on systems with a NVidia graphic card. If you have a
> NVidia card, and that shift really bothers you, then you can use the
> proprietary nvidia driver, instead of the open source nv driver.
> Knoppix ships with the later.

Well, it appears that trident is not that well supported in X.
Theoretically, there should be DRI and OpenGL support possible, IIUC,
but trident is not that cooperative (?) and DRI support is currently
being implemented for the cyberblade XP only.

However, running the framebuffer, it all works reasonably well. The most
irritating 'feature' of my card is that my laptop TFT panel flickers
sometimes if e.g. mozilla uses scrolling. And the problem is that _if_
this is the case, scrolling a distance will blank my screen for more
than a few tens of seconds. Very frustrating, especially since it
doesn't do this on a external CRT. Specifying NoAccel does the trick,
but then the card is very slow.

David