Re: installing mouse

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 05:27:17PM -0400, Leonard Stevens wrote:
> I am a new user or in the act of trying to be one. My problem at least at
> this stage is I can't get Linux to recognize my bus mouse. I made the
> mistake of installing xwindows and it goes straight there but without a
> mouse. I told it in setup that it was a bus ps/2 mouse but it could care
> less. I couldn't figure a way out so I reformatted the disk and started
> over. This time I made the mistake of installing the desktop and had the
> same result. I ounce more reformatted and am about to try a third time. How
> in gods name do I get it to install a mouse driver??????
> Thanks anyone who can help.
> Leonard Stevens

Hi Leonard,

You've had some replies already, telling you to look at the logs etc.
but you mention that you couldn't figure a way out of X and had to
reformat and start over. Some already mentioned you don't need to.
It's actually very simple. Assuming that your keyboard does work, you
can press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to the first virtual (text) console.
Subsequently, Alt+F2..F6 will take you to the other consoles and Alt+F7
will take you back to X. (The Ctrl is needed only when you're inside X,
otherwise Alt+F1..F7 suffices). Once you hit a console, login and
configure your mouse!

BTW, you could apt-get mdetect (apt-cache show mdetect, apt-get install
mdetect).

HTH,

David