Re: memory leaks

On 23 Jun 2003 20:33:14 -0500
matt zagrabelny <z@saturnsys.com> wrote:
> i am running unstable. yikes! no not yikes, this is the first _serious_
> problem i have run into, and my guess is other people running unstable
> dont have this problem, so i dont blame unstable.

    Just wanted to confirm your assertion that it is most likely not something
in a default unstable setup.  I've been riding unstable for quite a while and
have not had any problems with my box.  However I do have close to 900b of RAM
in it.  OTOH if there was some leak I'd think even after 160+ days 900Mb would
be hit hard.

    Some things to try as a temporary patch until you can figure out where the
problem is.  If you have a large HD you can swap do install swapd to give
yourself some added swap that dynamically grows as needed.  Hopefully this
will let you catch the culprit before it is shut down.

    Also remember that when trying to diagnose the problem "no memory" is
normal.  Linux (the kernel) will use as much memory as it can get away with
for buffers and caching.  I'm hopping in at the middle here so you might have
mentioned that you're aware of that but it bears repeating for any others
following the conversation who is not aware.  It truly is one of the most FAQs
when it comes to Linux.  As such when checking free use the figures on the 2nd
line:

{grey@teleute:~/News/Pan} free
Mem:        904592     854808      49784          0      27572     439384
-/+ buffers/cache:     387852     516740
Swap:        65520      58332       7188

    I know there was a program that was much like top except it recorded all
processes that had run along with their peak memory usage, CPU usage over its
run, etc.  I forget the name of it.  Hopefully someone knows of the utility I
am referring to and speak up.  I'd like to install it again.  :)

    Anyway, keep at it.  I run services, applications and various other sundry
programs on this box and while I have pushed it into swap several times I've
not yet seen it fail to return to a "normal" memory load.