Re: memory leaks

    "matt" == matt zagrabelny <z@saturnsys.com> writes:

    matt> note: i dont think the leak is in the normal applications as
    matt> mentioned in previous email, something seems to be gobling
    matt> up memory even before i log in to an x environment.

What do you have matching  /etc/rc2.d/S* on your system (I am assuming
that your default run level is 2)? Those are the daemons that your
system starts at boot.

I would try and save a full ps listing at boot up and let the system
run overnight with minimal user activity. Then take a look at the ps
listing the next morning or when you say the problem occurs. You might
have a daemon with a memory leak that itself dies and restarts several
times. Saving the process listing at boot and comparing it with the
daemon process ids when you see the problem might be one way to
approach this (since you say that running top at the time of the
problem does not show anything obvious).

I run Woody, so I can't draw any parallels here.

Good luck!
Shyamal