memory leaks

hi,

after boot my system runs out of memory in ~36-48 hours.

i have rebooted my machine and let it sit there, only logging into a
virtual console to run top. it still runs out of memory with no other
"user" applications running than top.

so i believe that a daemon process has a memory leak. however, top
doesnt appear to have any processes with large (> 20M) amounts of memory
allocated to them.

my questions are these:

1) what is a good way (besides top) to track memory usage? i have also
used gnome-system-monitor.

2) what is a _good_ way to selectively disable daemons in /etc/init.d/
from starting on boot?

thanks

matt zagrabelny