Re: memory leaks

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, matt zagrabelny wrote:

> hi,
>
> after boot my system runs out of memory in ~36-48 hours.
>
> i have rebooted my machine and let it sit there, only logging into a
> virtual console to run top. it still runs out of memory with no other
> "user" applications running than top.
>
> so i believe that a daemon process has a memory leak. however, top
> doesnt appear to have any processes with large (> 20M) amounts of memory
> allocated to them.
>
> my questions are these:
>
> 1) what is a good way (besides top) to track memory usage? i have also
> used gnome-system-monitor.
>
> 2) what is a _good_ way to selectively disable daemons in /etc/init.d/
> from starting on boot?
>
> thanks
>
> matt zagrabelny

man update-rc.d

1. Run grep to see what your default runlevel is:
	grep initdefault /etc/inittab
   It should say:
	id:2:initdefault:
   The number after 'id' refers to your default runlevel.  Lets assume
   you are running runlevel 2 for this exercise.

2. Use update-rc.d to maintain your runlevel configuration.  Lets say you
   have a service called Samba you want removed from starting up, look in
   /etc/rc2.d:
	ls /etc/rc2.d/
   You see the following symlink there:
	S20samba
   Break down the filename:  S means start, 20 is the start order, and
   samba is the actual name of the service.  Use update-rc.d to remove
   the service by name:
	update-rc.d -f samba remove

3. OOps, i actually want samba!  Then run:
	update-rc.d samba defaults

There you have it, quick and dirty service maintenance.

--
Arthur H. Johnson II, arthur@usol.com
AIM:  bytor4232