Re: Debian files available as tarballs? Ques. about full Debian chroot

on Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:24:56AM -0600, Paul E Condon (pecondon@peakpeak.com) wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 10:47:21PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:30:46AM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> > > I gather that all of the tools and disk images are merely there for ...
> >
> > Other people have answered most of your question, but this page explains
> > a very neat way to create a full Debian chroot:
> > http://people.debian.org/~walters/chroot.html
> >
> An OT questions:
>
> If I were to do this, is there some way I could convert the chroot
> Debian into a real full up Debian? e.g. have the /newdebian be a mount
> point to another hd, and then ???

Right.

Or an alternate root spec in your bootloader (e.g.:  LILO, GRUB,
LOADLIN.EXE, etc.).

> And how do daemons behave? Are there daemons running on the chroot
> Debian?

If you're installing via debootstrap, they appear _not_ to run, last I
checked (last week on an install).  Instead, a 'fakestart' is invoked as
daemons are installed.  Anyone knowing otherwise please advise.

Once you've configured the chroot, you can start and stop daemons as you
wish.  Note that these share kernelspace with daemons run outside the
chroot, and may conflict on sockets or other resources.  In general, I'd
recommend against doing this intentionally.

If you want to run jailed daemons, UML (user-mode Linux) is a better
bet.

Peace.

   At the sound of the toner, boycott Lexmark:  trade restraint via DMCA.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html