Re: Window manager troubles in Sid

on Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 10:36:32PM +1000, Rob Weir (rweir@ertius.org) wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 01:53:55AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > I just installed Debian on a friend's machine yesterday.  I used Knoppix to
> > detect the hardware (and write down what it produced) then I used an
> > old Woody CD to get a base system in place.  I changed the
> > sources.list to point at unstable and then did apt-get update and
> > apt-get dist-upgrade.
> >
> > Everything good so far (I was only upgrading the base install).
> > Then I went into dselect and picked all the programs and stuff that
> > he wanted, including GNOME for the desktop.  Once all was done the
> > xserver wouldn't start (I accidently told it the incorrect video
> > card), but that was easily fixed.  When I finally go GNOME to come
> > up, the panels were in the middle of the screen and they had regular
> > window decorations (making me think that the problem is actually
> > with the window manager).
> >
> > Can someone suggest a way to fix this?  The currently installed
> > window manager is metacity, but I can't figure out how to tell if
> > that is where the problem really is.
>
> I would guess from this description that GNOME is using twm as it's WM
> at the moment.  'ps aux | grep twm' will tell you for sure.  If it is,

   ps aux | grep [t]wm

...may be less ambiguous (the metacharacters '[]' won't match on
themselves.

If you have pstree installed, that might be a more useful
representation.  Your windowmanager runs as the child process of your X
session or X session manager.  E.g.:

     |-syslogd
     |-tcpspy
     |-ud
     |-wdm-+-XFree86
     |     `-wdm---WindowMaker-+-gabber---aspell
     |                         |-galeon-bin---galeon-bin---4*[galeon-bin]
     |                         |-jpilot
     |                         |-mount.app

...shows a few lines of output from my current session, indicating that
my session manager (wdm) has launched both XFree86 (the X server) and
WindowMaker (my window manager), which is running multiple clients.

There should be a way to get the windowmanager spec from within the X
environment, but I'm not aware of how.

Peace.

   The golden rule of technical design:  complexity is the enemy.