Re: debian installer (an idea)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:31:12AM -0400, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2003 10:22 am, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> > Unstable and testing change much too frequently for inclusion on any
> > CD releases (read daily if not hourly basis).
>
> Ok, but not everybody have full time access to internet, and this
> people would be interested in having an snapshot of testing and
> unstable. Even if it's not the very last "testing or unstable".

Each "snapshot" would be several CDs in size (read 7+ for testing and
another 7+ for unstable).  That would be an insane 21+ for stable,
testing, and unstable.  Probably more like 25-30+.  That doesn't include
source.

They don't need "full time" access.  They just need access to do an
"apt-get update" and then download whatever packages they want.  Sure,
this would be painful over a modem.

> Ok, I may be all mistaken but I think that some "device" need to be
> created to fill the gap betwen the perfect "stable" and the real needs
> of people that want a desktop, which means up to date soft.  Maybe
> this could be done by taking snapshots of testing and unstable in
> their least "broken" moments, I don't know.  I'm sure that some
> solution can be reached in order to make debian more flexible so you
> can run a debian server as happy as a debian desktop.
>
> Don't you agree?

Sure, and right now it's call "pinning".  It does require access to the
Internet or some local repository that is periodically sync'd with
another Internet mirror.  However, it does provide what you're looking
for.  All my desktops run a mix of testing/unstable.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar