Re: debian installer (an idea)

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 09:48:14AM -0400, Alfredo Valles wrote:

> One of the things I would like in future debian installer is to have
> also a "desktop flavor", a mixture of testing and unstable software
> similar to what knoppix do.
>
> More than that, I would love to have unstable and testing release
> shipped with normal debian CDs.
>
> Why not to use the same compact loopback device that knoppix have to
> mount the disks filesystem?. This way we could have 3 times more soft
> in the same space, just what it's needed.
>
> What do you think?

Packages are already compressed.  Putting them on a compressed
filesystem won't gain you much, if anything.  There's also a good
possibility that it will instead increase the size of the file (yes,
increase).

Unstable and testing change much too frequently for inclusion on any CD
releases (read daily if not hourly basis).

Sure, a "desktop release" as you describe sounds good to most at first
glance.  However, it's not a good idea.  If a person is going to run a
mixture of stable/testing/unstable they should know what they are doing.
There _are_ times that testing and unstable are quite broken.  Having
normal end users that installed a "desktop" release hit with these
during an update would be terrible to say the least.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar