Re: how to use rpm in debian

Rob Weir wrote:
> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > I have this myself, and the installation scripts use 'rpm' to attempt
> > the installation, which on Debian just won't work, period.

Not even with "The Gross Hack" of creating an rpmdb?  The Intel C/C++
compiler could be described using exactly the same description used to
describe IBM's db2 in the previous messages.  I install it by picking
it apart and reassembling because I am a purist.  I end up with a
clean installation.  (If the license allowed it I could make the .debs
available.  But it does not and so I can't.)  But I do know at least
one individual who does the rpm installation just for that bundle of
software.  Since it does not state any rpm requires in the bundle it
actually works.  Scary.  But an option.  As long as one understands
how the rpmdb works and can turn it on and off at will I could
compromise and recommend that proceedure.  Turn it on for this
installation, then turn it off again afterward by moving the rpmdb out
of the way until next time.

I mention the Intel packages because it is likely that the IBM
packages will have some similar problems.  At the time someone puts a
shell script installer around an installer like rpm it is usually
because they want to do bad things and so will be doing bad things.
Human nature is almost predictable for some things.

> > It *could* be done by editing the installation scripts to replace
> > 'rpm' with 'alien' for any actual installation calls. While the
> > LSB is a great solution to
>
> You could write a script that runs something like:
>
> alien -t deb $2 && dpkg -i `echo "$2"|sed -e 's/\.deb$/\.rpm/'

And don't forget alien's -i, --install option!  :-)  Just do it in one
step.

> and drop it in your $PATH so it's run instead of the normal 'rpm'.  Or
> something.

I have really thought seriously of trying that.  But in the case of
the Intel compiler it just uses rpm as a glorified tarball carrier of
the files.  After installation it munges the files setting paths in
them and moving some around.  So it won't verify cleanly after an
install.  Which is very slimy in my book.  I would hate to have
something in the dpkg database that was not really there since the
install shell script munged it or moved it.

One important note about alien.  I think it is really great and
certainly the way to go.  But the version in woody has some serious
bugs which can keep you from having a good experience with it.  I
highly recommend pulling the unstable source and backporting it to
woody.  It backports easy.  The latest versions have some very
important bug fixes.  Even with the newest version, however, I have
some issues.  But Joey has been very active working on it of late and
I think the release for sarge will be in excellent shape.

Bob