Re: Debian files available as tarballs?

on Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:30:46AM -0400, John Klos (john@klos.com) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get a tarball (or tarballs) of a Debian distro for use on
> a NetBSD system.

Source or binary?

What exactly are you trying to do?

Does NetBSD have binary GNU/Linux compatibility?  I know FreeBSD can run
ELF binaries, not so sure about Net.

> However, I cannot find any place to download tarballs; on
> the ftp server, I see, for instance, tools in
> /debian/dists/woody/main/disks-m68k/3.0.23-2002-05-21, and nothing useful
> in /debian/dists/woody/main/binary-m68k.

Tarballs aren't provided, as a matter of course.

The base2_2.tgz Potato base tarball is the last available base image.
Instructions for bootstrapping this to a _current_ Debian system are
available here:

    http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DebianChrootInstall

That said, both source and binary DEBs are merely an 'ar' archive,
containing three files:

    debian-binary
    control.tar.gz
    data.tar.gz

The binaries or sources are in data.tar.gz.  You can unpack a Debian
archive with nothing more than 'ar' and 'tar'.

> No other places seem obvious, nor can I find anything in the
> documentation or on any web sites. I then looked on the servers which
> had CD images, and I see six CDs worth of stuff - obviously overkill.
>
> I gather that all of the tools and disk images are merely there for
> installation of Debian. But what about access to just the operating system
> files without gigabytes of binary packages?

The "operating system files" in general _are_ binaries, among other
formats.

What, again, exactly are you looking for, and do you intend to do?

Peace.

   Verio webhosting?  Guaranteed downtime:
     http://www.dowethics.com/r/environment/freedom.html