Re: OT: America's Army

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 05:42, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2003 23:23, Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> > > Oh for christs sake, come down from your ivory tower already.
> > > Its better than running quake3 or UT because unless you're stealing
> > > those games, you have to pay for them.
> >
> > No I've seen gratis (free to download) versions of quake3 out
> > there. They might have been demos but they let you play online. And I
> > don't mind paying for software if I am free to copy, modify, etc. it
> > :)
> >
> > > Is that not enough for you?  Stop your bitching and complaining and
> > > appreciate this for what it is, a free, high quality game with good
> > > linux support.  I think its amazing that this even got done.
> > >
> > > Damn these free software holier than thou zealots really drive me
> > > through the roof.  Sorry to everyone else for the rant.
> >
> > I'm sorry that I offended you by pointing out that this is not
> > technically Free Software. Debian aims to be a Free operating
> > system. Now I might run a piece of proprietary software if I really
> > have no choice (I even use Windows), but I always consider the
> > alternatives.
> >
> > I think that the engine to quake2 is available as Free Software
> > (GPL'd I think) and it can load custom maps and such, which are also
> > free. That's much more amazing. A commercial company GPL'd a major
> > game. It's not that surprising that the US army releases a binary
> > only copy of their game for linux.
>
> I don't know why everybody is flaming Bijan. I think his argument is
> valid.
>
> Call me a zealot, or anything you want, but I really care about my
> freedom. Accept is guys, there are people out there, who care about

We're a bit peeved because of his intolerant "I hate software that
I can't copy and modify" attitude.  Should I hate homosexuals because
I am heterosexual?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
|  thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear  |
|  thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV)               |