Re: unstable packages for woody

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 07:42:06PM +0200, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to install licq 1.2.6 on my woody box. Its not avalible as binary
> package for woody.
>
> Ok i could install it from unstable and would have to update some other files
> (libc) to get it installed.
>
> If i dont want to mix my woody box with unstable libs (and i don't want to do
> that) i could download the source by hand from licq.org and compile it (i
> would need the kde and qt dev files).
>
> Sice the debian installation system is one of the most genious systems in the
> computer world im sure that there is an automatet method for this issue. E.g.
> compile the package on my box with woody incs and libs.
>
> Is there a "debianized" method or do i have to use the
> old-fashioned-self-compiling way?

Sure.  Add a deb-src line for Sid to your /etc/apt/sources.list, and run

$ apt-get build-dep licq
$ apt-get -b source licq

This will download the basic libraries and headers it needs to compile,
and then downloads and builds the source.  Of course, this requires
having all the neccessary stuff available in woody to build it...It's
certainly worth a try before moving to more 'extreme' measure.  Oh,
you'll need 'build-essential' installed, too.

Another idea is to check http://www.apt-get.org/ to see if someone has
already backported it to woody.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?