Re: logging apt-get/dpkg activity

Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      The redirection " 2>&1" isn't portable - it doesn't work with
> /bin/dash.

Yes it is, and yes it does.

joey@dragon:~>dash
$ perl -e 'print STDERR "foo\n"' >/dev/null
foo
$ perl -e 'print STDERR "foo\n"' >/dev/null 2>&1
$

> I have the impression the back-quotes for command redirection aren't
> standard either - at least a number of people object to them.

$(command) is perhaps slighlty more standard/easier to deal with, but
backqoutes are POSIX. You will find both these constructs in portable
configure scripts.

--
see shy jo