Re: logging apt-get/dpkg activity

Bob Hilliard wrote:
>      I suspect the easy availability of script(1) discouraged people
> from expending any effort on it.  I finally got tired of editing out
> all the bogus newlines (^M) from script's output, so I wrote the
> following wrapper for apt-get, which I have installed as
> /usr/local/bin/upgrade:
>
> #! /bin/bash
> # A script to wrap `apt-get -dist-upgrade' to keep a log of upgrades
>
> echo -e "\n\n `date`\n">>upgrade_log
> apt-get -qu dist-upgrade 2>&1 |tee -a upgrade_log
> exit 0
>
>      This contains several bashisms, so it shouldn't be run with
> #!/bin/sh.  You still have to stand by to answer apt's and debconf's
> questions.

You could eliminate all of the non-portable stuff in the above by
changing the single 'echo -e' to 'printf'.  This is functionally
equivalent.

  #! /bin/sh
  # A script to wrap `apt-get -dist-upgrade' to keep a log of upgrades

  printf "\n\n `date`\n\n">>upgrade_log
  apt-get -qu dist-upgrade 2>&1 |tee -a upgrade_log
  exit 0

It annoys me that bash's echo and therefore /bin/sh requires -e which
in the case of /bin/sh is a violation of the standards.  I have given
up and just use printf whenever I need escape sequences.

Bob