Re: howto use defaults/preferences to keep to testing ???

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 10:17:58AM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> Also sprach Colin Watson (Sat 21 Jun 02003 at 12:58:47PM +0100):
> > On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:20:16AM -0400, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> > > Can I ask why you do $dselect update instead of $apt-get update ?  Maybe
> > > dselect looks at /etc/apt/sources.list and doesn't ever
> > > look at the /etc/apt/preferences file?
> >
> > No. Michael is doing the right thing here. When configured to use apt as
> > its access method (as is the default), 'dselect update' runs 'apt-get
> > update' and then merges the output into dpkg's available file. I advise
> > never using 'apt-get update' directly.
>
> Thank you.  I know that I'd read that suggestion somewhere, and since,
> I've made it my habit.  However, for purposes of a cronjob, how do I do
> _this_ with dselect ???
>
> 	apt-get -q=2 update

Poking around in /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/apt/update, I believe you can set
'DSelect::UpdateOptions "-f -q=2"' in /etc/apt/apt.conf (which you can
create if it doesn't exist).

> Secondly, on the subject topic, I remain confused ;>

Sorry, can't help you there; I don't believe in mixing distributions, so
I don't use /etc/apt/preferences.. (Then again, I don't run testing
either. Given how much time I spend trying to fix bits of testing, I
suppose I should find a machine to run it on ...)

Cheers,