Re: howto use defaults/preferences to keep to testing ???

On Fri, June 20 at  5:19 PM EDT
"Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> wrote:

> Also sprach Shawn Lamson (Wed 18 Jun 02003 at 11:58:17PM -0400):
> > On Wed, June 18 at  8:32 PM EDT
> > "Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> wrote:
> >
> > > What do I *not* understand about apt defaults and preferences?  I
> > > was at woody/stable for a year.  Recently, I've taken the plunge
> > > and upgraded to testing, and I think that I am configured to stay
> > > at testing:
> > >
> > > # cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
> > > APT::Cache-Limit        12582912;
> > > APT::Default-Release    "testing";
> >
> > You can refer to the following link for some preferences settings.
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
> > If you don't want *any* packages from unstable then comment out that
> > line from /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > > # cat /etc/apt/preferences
> > > Package: *
> > > Pin: release a=stable
> > > Pin-Priority: 1000
> > >
> > > Package: *
> > > Pin: release a=testing
> > > Pin-Priority: 1000
> > >
> > > Package: *
> > > Pin: release a=unstable
> > > Pin-Priority: 0
> > >

> > > However, I just did this:
> > >
> > > # sudo dselect update
> > >
> > > And, I get this result:
> > >
> > > # sudo apt-get upgrade
> > > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > > The following packages have been kept back
> > >   aptitude kdeartwork synaptic w3m
> > > 13 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4  not
> > > upgraded. Need to get 8642kB of archives. After unpacking 477kB
> > > will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> > > Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main sysv-rc 2.85-4
> > > [23.8kB] Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main sysvinit
> > > 2.85-4 [80.8kB] Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main
> > > initscripts 2.85-4[13.1kB] Get:4 http://http.us.debian.org
> > > unstable/main debconf 1.2.42[138kB] Get:5
> > > http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main ispell 3.1.20.0-2 [156kB]
> > > Get:6 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main iamerican 3.1.20.0-2
> > > [411kB] Get:7 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main whiptail
> > > 0.51.4-10 [26.8kB] Get:8 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main
> > > debconf-utils 1.2.42 [98.3kB] Get:9 http://http.us.debian.org
> > > unstable/main gs 7.07-1 [3013kB] Get:10 http://http.us.debian.org
> > > unstable/main kdeartwork-misc 4:3.1.2-2 [3711kB] Get:11
> > > http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main kdeartwork-style 4:3.1.2-2
> > > [27.0kB] Get:12 http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main
> > > kdeartwork-theme-window 4:3.1.2-2 [117kB] Get:13
> > > http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main kscreensaver 4:3.1.2-2
> > > [827kB] Fetched 8642kB in 39s (216kB/s) Preconfiguring packages
> > >

> > > I do *NOT* want to upgrade to un-stable!
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > Shawn Lamson
> > shawn.lamson@verizon.net
> > Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
>
> Yes, I understand this.
>
> However, I am trying to understand how defaults/preferences work.

Okay, I was giving you a way to not include packages from unstable/sid.

> Based on the preferences set, I fail to see how my update installs so
> much un-stable ?!?!

Can I ask why you do $dselect update instead of $apt-get update ?  Maybe
dselect looks at /etc/apt/sources.list and doesn't ever
look at the /etc/apt/preferences file?

> Is there some better document to explain this than the apt howto?

I don't know of any, sorry.  What I gather from it is that you have the
default release set in apt.conf and I think that you should just use the
preferences file when you want to override that setting, i.e. either
pinning a particular package from stable/woody or unstable/sid.  See
what I mean?  If you aren't going to use *any* packages other than
testing/sarge then you can really $rm /etc/apt/preferences and be safe.
I  don't know if that is your intent, but your preferences file was not
set up to accomplish anything to my knowlege.

HTH, and if you have more info on the situation please enlighten me,
too.
Shawn

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net