Re: howto use defaults/preferences to keep to testing ???

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:20:16AM -0400, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> On Fri, June 20 at  5:19 PM EDT
> "Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> wrote:
> > Based on the preferences set, I fail to see how my update installs so
> > much un-stable ?!?!
>
> Can I ask why you do $dselect update instead of $apt-get update ?  Maybe
> dselect looks at /etc/apt/sources.list and doesn't ever
> look at the /etc/apt/preferences file?

No. Michael is doing the right thing here. When configured to use apt as
its access method (as is the default), 'dselect update' runs 'apt-get
update' and then merges the output into dpkg's available file. I advise
never using 'apt-get update' directly.

Cheers,