Re: debian

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 14:50, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 13:45, Mark Roach wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 13:42, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> >
> > > What about a Box that says:
> > > "Do you want me to AutoDetect your hardware?
> > > Yes or No"
> >
> > I'm not saying that I think autodetection is a bad idea, just that I
> > don't particularly need/want it, and I don't imagine the people who
> > write the debian installer particularly need/want it either, and that
> > that is probably why it hasn't happened. It's that whole itch scratching
> > thing that open source people are always talking about :-) RedHat et al
> > have that particular itch because they want to make money, debian folks
> > are doing it for themselves in most cases
>
> Knoppix does it and is based on Debian.
>
> Everyone deservers Free Software even people who aren't particularly
> itchy :)
>
> Bijan

That about sums things up - these were the design decisions that Klaus
Knopper made for his edition, built with a very select collection of
software and targetted for one CPU family. Apparently, we can point this
out until we are blue in the face and it won't matter, but Debian is
aimed to a substantively larger collection of processors, system
architectures, functions, languages and even window managers than
Knoppix is, and so the simple scale of the task of hardware detection is
vastly greater than it is in the Knoppix environment. Anytime I've run
Knoppix, I've needed at least one of the cheatcodes to get it working
correctly with most of the hardware, so I personally don't experience
the autodetection the way so many proclaim (just my bad luck,) while my
three installs of Woody generally found everything, although the
boot-floppies installation didn't pass that on to specifically choose
the correct modules (I did that on my own.)

That said, the times I've installed Red Hat, it has always shortchanged
me on screen resolution. Annoying, even if the autodetection was
*reasonable* :(
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org