Re: debian

> Wow, there must really be something wrong with me, because I actually
> _like_ the debian installer. I find it simple and flexible. I can't say
> I have ever tried to install on a machine where I didn't know what
> hardware was in it... actually I don't think I've ever _had_ a machine
> where I didn't know what hardware was in it.

I've Debian on many of my friends machines. I've also installed it on
dozens of machines at work. The incredible amount of hardware out there
makes things difficult/long sometimes.

> For me at least, the debian installer, especially netinst, is the
> easiest way to get where I want to be which is a very base system with a
> root prompt awaiting my apt-get commands. Sitting through a "please wait
> while setup probes your hardware" or some such dialog would annoy me
> when I know that it would take much less time for me to pick the right
> driver from a list.

What about a Box that says:
"Do you want me to AutoDetect your hardware?
Yes or No"

BTW I also though autodetection was annoying at first. But I've had very
good experience with Knoppix. I just pop the cd in, boot up, and note
down the settings in X11 and the kernel modules it has loaded and then I
either install from Knoppix directly (knx-hdinstall) or do a standard
Debian install with the info I've gathered.

Bijan