Re: nfs through dsl router

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 20:26, Matt Price wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi

> I would liketo be able to mount a directory from my work computer
> (debian sid, with a fixed IP address) from my home computer
> (debian-ppc-woody, behind a simple, cheap router from smc).  I've set
> up nfsd on the work machine, and it does work for localhost (that is,
> I can mount a directory from my work machine at a mountpoint on the
> same machine, as an nfs device).  However, I can't seem to mount the
> volume from my home machine, even when I include the following line in
> /etc/exports:
>
> /home/me  *(rw)
>
> (obviously not a good plan for permanent use...)

Ouch.  You may already be hacked.

> Is this a port forwarding issue?  If so, how do I figure out which
> ports I need to tell the router to forward on to the home machine?

The ports are portmap and whatever is listed with 'rpcinfo -p'.

But please don't do this at all-- you are opening yourself up to a whole
bunch of problems.

I'd recommend scp.  If you must have nfs, it is possible to use nfs with
ssh.  See:

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=4072/sam0203d/sam0203d.htm

James Strandboge

--