Re: debian

Alfredo Valles said on Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:49:18PM -0400:
> For some odd reason people in debian tend say: "Hey, if you don't like how we
> do it, go to RedHat"
> Why on earth should I go to RedHat when the system I like installs and
> autodetect hardware perfectly well on the plataform that I and 95% of people
> use (i386-compatible). Knoppix is the proof of this.

Then use Knoppix as your installer, and switch to Debian proper later.  It
works pretty well.

> There will always be the choice to install on all other platforms but without
> some facilities.

Debian doesn't treat non-x86 archs differently; if it's released and supported,
it's fully supported.  So, if the Knoppix installer doesn't work on PowerPC,
then it's not good enough.

> I remember that in one interview with Knopper they ask him if anyone of the
> debian developers team have come to him to ask for his advice to add knoppix
> autodetection to a debian installer.
> He said that there wasn't such a contact.

Perhaps that is too bad; I'm sure that at least some of the autodetection stuff
would work across the board.  But perhaps not... I am not working on the
installer.

> I wonder if the developers who are working on the installer aren't trying to
> do a great universal installer while there are one ready and usable "now" for
> the most popular architecture.

If you don't like waiting for the installer, either:

a) write a better one (good luck).

b) help the people who are writing a better one, either by debugging, testing,
or contributing code.