Re: debian

On Friday 20 June 2003 9:29 am, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     Bijan> There's no good reason why Debian doesn't.
>
> Debian runs on many architectures (have you even looked
> athttp://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual recently?) . It
> has a different set of priorities than Mandrake or Red Hat. If I
> wanted a good installer I'd go with one of the other distributions, or
> work on adding it to Debian.

It's always the same!
For some odd reason people in debian tend say: "Hey, if you don't like how we
do it, go to RedHat"
Why on earth should I go to RedHat when the system I like installs and
autodetect hardware perfectly well on the plataform that I and 95% of people
use (i386-compatible). Knoppix is the proof of this.

There will always be the choice to install on all other platforms but without
some facilities.

I remember that in one interview with Knopper they ask him if anyone of the
debian developers team have come to him to ask for his advice to add knoppix
autodetection to a debian installer.
He said that there wasn't such a contact.

I wonder if the developers who are working on the installer aren't trying to
do a great universal installer while there are one ready and usable "now" for
the most popular architecture.