Re: debian

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 12:10:08PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> What is the reason that people (like you) do not underestand that Debian
> supports way more hardware architectures than RedHat does, and that
> detecting hardware on all these architects, and developing an installer
> wich runs on all of them, is not an easy job? (Hell, RedHat even does
> not support PPC or Sparc).

debian-install will use "discover" to detect hardware.  It only detects
PCI, USB, or PCMCIA devices, making it useless on on mips, s/390, m68k,
some SPARC, and other systems.  Big deal.  The people who need hardware
detection are on x86.  Platform support is not a valid excuse for the
fact that we don't have hardware detection in our installer.

> What is the reason that people do not underestand that debian developers
> are working on a new installer, and that it would perhaps have better
> hardware detection?

That doesn't help the guy who just tried Debian for the first time and
switched back to Redhat, where everything "just works".

> What is the reason that people who are only concerened with x86 and want
> hardware auto detection, do not use Libranet?

Maybe we want to use Debian?

> Someone mentioned a while back, that if you think installing Debian
> GNU/Linux is difficult, then try installing Debian GNU/Hurd ;-)

Or Debian on a MIPS platform.  Yuck.  fdisk has the really annoying (and
undocumented) bug that causes it to get really confused if you try to
create partitions in ascending numeric order (i.e. create sda1 before
sda2, as 99% of the world is likely to do).  Creating them in descending
order seems to work just fine.

On the other hand, "hardware detection" is easy on MIPS, because so few
devices are supported that they can all be compiled statically into the
install kernel.  8^)

noah