[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

unstable gnome config went belly up



couple of days ago after an 'apt-get dist-upgrade'
sequence followed by a reboot.

The nature of the 'belly up' was many complaints
about the configuration daemon not being accessible
and perhaps NFS locks are messed, orbit's not
enabled for tcp/ip, etc.  Desktop was bizarre
and completely unuseable.  I ended up having to
	/etc/init.d/gdm restart
my way out of the mess and used fluxbox and others
for awhile.

I tried ripping out all of my .gnome trees but that
didn't help.

The fix was to rip out the .gconf and .gconfd trees.
I'm not sure which was the magic -- I just ripped
them both, afterwhich gnome came back up.

Heitzso



Reply to: